Wednesday, December 7, 2011

P3 review and commission work a go go

First in this blog entry I would like to discuss P3 paints from Privateer Press. I've never used them before and figured I would throw my two cents in and write a mini review. Then once I finish my review I will show off some commission work (otherwise known as test models).

Now I received my P3 paint set today (ordered from the Warstore, great site, with awesome deals on everything!) and I am very impressed. I've never used P3 before and with my client wanting a scheme similar to the Horde Trollbloods (just slightly darker) for his Ogres army I figured this would be the chance to try them out. You can't beat $14.00 giving you 6 paints.

Let me first say that P3 paints are ridiculously smooth and cover a hell of a lot better then GW (except for the Cold Steel, that took 4-5 layers working from a black undercoat) and take to thinning with water with relative ease. In fact their so nice you can practically use them straight out of the bottle, though I suggest thinning your paints all the time, makes it less chunky and saves the details in the end. Their bottle design is the best Ive seen next to the dropper model of the Reaper series. Unlike GW paint the P3 paint pot actually stays open, resting the inside "plunger" on the back lip perfectly, allowing you the ease of not having to grow a third arm to mix your paints AND leaving practically no excess paint on the rim. To be quite honest, Im actually enjoying panting miniatures more then I have in a long time. I believe this is due to the relative ease of laying down the coats of the P3 paint even when using on a black undercoat. I don't have to constantly be adding more and more water, or to constantly be re-painting the same spot because the paint just won't "stick".

The paint also works well with paints/washes from other companies like GW or Reaper. The GW washes seem to take to the paint the best, completely surprising me how well they actually work together. At this rate if the Secret Weapon washes do just as good of a job I may stop buying GW paint altogether. I'm always on the look-out for a new set of paint because lets face it, while GW has some good paints like the Foundations and what not, they are not the best out there (and their prices are ridiculous for what you get anyways).

Now will I expand my paint selection with P3? Yes, I definitely will be as soon as possible. Will it completely replace my GW paints? Eh, its hard to tell. Once I expand and get ahold of more paint selections and truly see how the range comes together then I can judge that. However as of now I will be taking every opportunity to buy more of their fabulous paint. Keep up the good work Privateer Press.

Rating: 4/5. I like what I'm seeing but of course I need to get my hands on more to truly get the full picture.

Now onto the commission pics.
My client asked for a color scheme similar to the Frost Giants from Thor. Naturally I sent him some pics of Trollbloods and asked if this was something he wanted. He said yes but he wanted them a bit darker. This leads to the first collage of an Ice Ogre. I like where it was going and right after I finished I knew he probably wouldn't like it. Surprisingly he liked it but wanted it a bit darker.


After a bit of discussion I went back to this figure. I sent a lot of time on it and well I didn't want to just start a new Ogre. There had to be something I could do to him to get him darker. I grabbed some Asurman Blue GW wash and thinned it considerably with water. I haven't sent him this collage yet but I think it definitely got darker and looks less "Smurfish".


I actually really like this "version" a lot. It didn't kill my paint job but gave it just enough of a shadow boost to make it less bright and in your face. I did have to go back over my highlights but it was worth it. Hopefully he'll like this and all I would have to do is give them a nice quick wash after achieving the first scheme. Even if he doesn't like it and I have to go even darker, this will be the scheme for my own Ogre army after I finish his. Frost Ogres here I come!

Thanks for taking the time to look and as always comments and concerns are always welcome!

+++Kevin+++

No comments:

Post a Comment